Monokinis & One Piece Swimwear
The Metamorphosis of the One-Piece Swimsuit
Your swim trip is nearing and of course, all signs point to: SEXY. After days and weeks of being bundled up, you might be itching to let your skin breathe and touch the sun rays. Whether it is a beach or a pool, everything has to be nothing less than sizzling hot. The first order of business would be to cop the sexiest swimsuit that you could have the time of your life in. Naturally, you might reach for the skimpiest bikinis you can find. Bikinis are the top of mind when you think of something sexy. While we love a sexy micro bikini, it is always fun to switch things around.
When you want to go for full-blown sexy, you can definitely turn the tables around and sport a one-piece swimsuit versus your usual itty bitty bikini. Yes, you read it right! Gone are the days where one piece swimsuits are stereotypically tagged as modest, timid and even prudish.
If you think you cannot turn heads in a single piece swimsuit – think again! Sexy is not limited to head turning thong and micro bikinis anymore since the one piece swimsuit has revolutionized its new sartorial sibling: the monokini.
What is a Monokini?
The Singular Sensation
It is one of the fashion industry’s splendid concoctions like the jegging, skorts, tankini and etcetera. Much like those mentioned, the monokini is not just your ordinary one-piece swimwear. Most people think that monokinis are for those who need to hide certain parts of their bodies, but has actually become an oozingly seductive swimsuit. What is a monokini swimsuit to be exact? The term may be puzzling to some as it combines two terms. ‘Mono’, which means “one” pertaining to one-piece swimwear making it pretty clear that it comes in a singular package. However, it also incorporates the term “kini” which is a shortened version of one of our favorite words: “bikini” which is known to pertain to swimsuit separates. The two contradicting terminologies are actually working in utter harmony. Who knew you can be conservative yet totally sexy simultaneously.
Let us boil everything down to finally get you out of the swimsuit stump. If a bikini and one-piece swimsuit were to have babies, it would be named monokini. A monokini is a singular swimsuit which looks like a one-piece in front but looks like a two-piece at the back. It provides the convenience of a one-piece suit but has the sex appeal of a bikini. So when you find yourself torn between a bikini and a one-piece, you can get the best of both worlds by copping a sexy monokini.
What makes a monokini sexy is that it achieves the charm of bikinis with their elaborate cut outs. As compared to the regular “Baywatch” one piece, monokini swimsuits show more skin and put more emphasis on the female figure.
Evolution of the Monokini
Where the New Definition of Sexy One-Piece Started
The world wasn’t always open to the idea of monokini suits. It may seem difficult to believe but it caused quite a stir. Far beyond the controversy following the bikini invented by Louis Reard, the monokini was a more provocative number when it first came out. Shocking as this information may seem, the monokini was more controversial as compared to its two piece counterpart.
After Pinup girls made waves with their bikini-clad models in magazines, Rudi Gernreich sought a swimsuit design that will help reduce tan lines. He wanted to pave the way for women to be free with their bodies and invented what we know now as the monokini. His first prototype, however, was topless. Gernreich’s sexy monokini swimsuit covered the tummy and butt area but altogether liberated the breasts. The first ever sexy monokini bathing suits featured a high-waist bottom which is held by a halter top that exposed the entire chest area. This was definitely an outrageous and avante-garde sight to behold during the 1960s. The ’60s was also known as a time of social revolution and unrest so the burlesque monokini was certainly a sign of the times.
The first topless monokini caused quite a commotion and everyone simply could not get enough of the drool-worthy swimsuit. The sexy monokini swimwear styles have evolved since then. Designers came up with innovative styles that incorporate the original structure without the breast-baring element.
Reasons Why the Monokini is Worth the Hype
Have you invested in one yet?
If you haven’t tried wearing a monokini yet, then you are missing out! If you have your head deep in bikinis, it is probably time to rise up from the surface and experience everything this one piece swimsuit could offer. Here are three ways to hype you up to finally dip your toes in the water of monokini swimwear.
1. Universally Flattering– The monokini is specially designed to flatter the body. Varied styles and cut outs of the monokini cater to all dimensions and measurements. The key is to know your body type and let your monokini work towards flattering your best assets. It allows flexibility when it comes to the amount of coverage you want, giving you the freedom to choose which to hide and which to show off. Even when you are technically covering yourself up more with a monokini, it does not necessarily mean that you are making yourself less sexy. The right piece can even make you look and feel even sexier!
2. Picture Worthy – The monokini is most likely a swimsuit that you never put on your list of beach essentials but end up buying because it is too eye-catching to pass up. On your way to buy bikinis, you might do a double take once you see how a monokini stands out. Because of its attractive features, you will find yourself constantly reaching out and bending your body for that Instagram-worthy selfies. Your monokini will be the star of every photo.
3. Convenience and Comfort – A monokini is a valuable investment not only because of the beauty it provides but also because of the practicality of it. You will have fewer chances of a fashion faux pas in a monokini. Because the top is bound with the bottom, you do not have to worry about your swimsuit coming undone. You can ride a bike, surf the waves, and splish-splash to your heart's desire. Moreover, a great monokini can serve you even outside the beach. Express yourself in a gazillion of looks with your sexy monokini.
Must-Have Monokini Styles
Pieces that will Give You the Best Bang Out of Your Buck
Identifying a good-looking monokini is not a challenge. However, identifying a monokini that will look good on you is a whole different story. While some may be an expert in finding the ultimately flattering swimsuit for their body type but some are still in the shadows. In order to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it will require time, effort and a little bit of research before landing on the best monokini for you. Putting careful thought and scrutinizing the choices may be the best approach but the process of trial and error also works best for plenty of people.
For some ladies, time is of the essence and perusing your swimsuit choices will take a chunk out of the clock. If you are pressed for time and you are looking for a shortcut to look fabulous, here are some no-fail monokini options you can rely on to make you look sexy and fabulous in a jiffy!
1. See-through Monokini – Looking chic will be effortless when you opt for a monokini with transparent detailing like mesh or fishnets. Mesh in any color will be both sexy and mysterious. Even if your monokini has more fabric as compared to your bikini, the mesh will let a tinge of skin peek through, giving you a subtly sexy vibe. Flaunt your figure in a white fishnet lace up thong and leave little to the imagination while being absolutely comfy at the same time.
2. Nautical Colors – Stripes, red, blue and are sure-fire ways to get you on board! Nautically themed swimsuits are retro stunners that will overshadow all your imperfections. Where better to wear a seafaring uniform than by the sea? Be a sexy sailor with straightforward monokini pieces. Anything that resembles the marine spectrum is a swimsuit worthy of a sunset cruise.
3. White and Black – Nothing shouts classic more than your basics. A white and black monokini will be a simple yet sexy number that will give you the freedom to play around and accessorize to your heart’s content. Black monokini bathing suits is a slimming choice for those who want it sophisticated and classy. Go for a sexy white monokini for the pristine aura that will gloriously reflect sunshine to your body.
4. Straps and Cutouts – Strappy and cutout details may seem like a seductive approach but it can actually be more practical than you think. If your concern is a straight figure, monokinis with daring cuts on either side of your waist will make it look cinched and smaller. On the other hand, some monokinis reveal the middle belly area and cover the sides instead. You can go for this style if your areas of concern are your hips and love handles. Lace features that can be adjusted is a great way to make your monokini work to your advantage. If you need a little cleavage boost, go for the monokini with a lace up front that you can tighten and loosen. Monokinis with adjustable halter tops and side ties will also ensure that you are in control of the fit.
Ways to Wear Your Monokini
Style Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Monokini
A monokini is such a great investment that you can take from the shore to the streets. Think of the revival of the bodysuits which is one of the latest fashion crazes that everyone has been donning. If you want to use your monokini to the fullest, here are some style ideas you can incorporate before during and after your swim trip.
1. Before – If you cannot wait to take a dip then you can wear your monokini while on board your destination! Whether you are in a car, a bus, a ship, you can certainly lounge around in your monokini. Wear it with your denim cut-offs and achieve that causal tank top and shorts ensemble. Once you strip off your shorts you are instantly ready to jump into the water. Talk about style and convenience in one swimsuit!
2. During – Unlike your two-piece bikini, you will not be left freezing when you decide to go ashore. Simply plop on a kimono on top of your monokini for a relaxing off-the-water look. The monokini and kimono combination is such a comfortable pairing that you will find yourself easily doze off while chilling under the beach umbrellas.
3. After – When you’ve finally had enough of the sun and the sea breeze and you want to kick back and relax at the resort restaurant or lounge area, a change of outfit is in check. For the girl who is always on the go, you might not want to put up a fight in coming up with a whole new outfit right after your day in the sun. A swift solution to this is to plop on a clothing item that will turn your fun monokini into resort wear chic. Balance the informal monokini with a glam item like a floor length skirt and some glistening bling. Your sexy black monokini swimsuit will look glamorous when matched with a black sequined skirt which also doubles as a cover-up.
As you get older and as trends evolve, pulling off unique and sexy swimsuit looks gets trickier by the day and we have the monokini to thank in making our swimsuit shopping a little less complicated. Mixing and matching is always fun but for the times you want your swimsuit served in a silver platter, going for a monokini is breezy, quick and easy. In a sea of teeny tiny bikini-clad women, a monokini is always a breath of fresh air. Its simplicity and sexy blueprint make it an ideal choice for any woman.
To choose a Sexy Monokini is to choose joy!